Twenty collective heads turned as audible gasps echoed through the room. David glanced at Jon with blue eyes shining with a mix of shock and humor. "Man I told you that institution was gonna grab ya in its straight jacket!"
Jon's eyes went wide at the sight and hurriedly moved to his bride, easily moving her from Mel's hands. He pulled Shannon into a hard hug as he whispered, "You ok baby? She hurt you?"
"No but I’m gonna hurt her," she growled then softened her voice." I'm sorry she didn't give me a chance to tell her why we wanted to keep it hush, hush." Shannon stood by Jon and slowly turned to face the crowd, her cheeks in a full on embarrassed blush.
Richie looked at Mel for the first time since he'd come off the stage "uh Mel hun....." He glanced at Jon trying to gauge his reaction. He beckoned to Mel hoping she'd drop it for now. He didn't know what would happen with all these people but it couldn't be good.
She turned and slipped from the doorway and wandered along the hall aimlessly. Let them all party and be happy, the concert had been stellar. Even Richie was on such a high he'd not even looked for her as he normally did. She made it to the storage room and settled herself against a crate, closed her eyes and watched the shadows of dust mites in the shadows of the room.
Jon glanced around the room. He wasn't about to explain shit to a bunch of people not involved in the band. "Guys' we'll have a band meeting tomorrow afternoon at 1." He nodded at everyone and turned. "See you all tomorrow."
Richie swore as Mel ignored him and took off out the door. He hurriedly nodded to Jon about the meeting, grabbed his jacket and took off yelling "Mel!! hey Mel??" he looked here and there and finally came across her in a closet?? "Mel??" he stepped in "Honey you ok?"
She glanced up slowly, her voice husky with drink. "Oooh just peachy Dork. How are you?"
He stepped in and went for a kiss and smelled it. "Good lord Mel... no wonder," he shook his head and chuckled she'd been so angry she'd gotten good and trashed... and without him "Aw baby... I'm sorry.... I…" He knew the act of him ignoring her after the show was probably not helping her hurt right now. "I know your upset, I am too but maybe... look I want you to come with me to the meeting tomorrow ok... It's only fair I mean this is about your sister so fuck doc if he tries to say no.. I'm sure we'll all work it out then." He tried to console her and knew as good as he knew his name it wasn’t working.
She hiccupped and tried to stand up, only to fall right back down. "I wanna put her over my knee, I wanna.. Why didn't she let me know?" She almost whined, her voice dropping into a whispery plaintive question, but she couldn't get up without falling, which only made her laugh. "I can't stand up."
"Oh damn girl" he scooped her wavering body up into his arms. "Kids, Mel.. they just don’t think, they don’t understand things like that." He carried her thru the hall "They only think of now not the future."
"Taught her to think dammit, taught her to respect, gave her..." She shook her head, her arms moving up to wrap around his neck. "Silly girl."
"She's gotta be 20 kinds of silly to marry that bastard," Richie mumbled with a sigh. He slipped her into the limo and followed her in. "Maybe we should do it to them," he said only half joking.
She tilted her head, her eyes going wide, "But I've known you a million years, its natural, I mean.. well, but she’s only known him a little bit of time." He was just mouthing off like she did, he didn't mean it, she knew that. "I wanna another drink."
"That’s the last thing you need," he sighed and kissed her "Did you hear me Mel? I said we should get married"
She smiled and moved sliding her arm back to pat his cheek indulgently. "Aww that’s sweet Dork, but I know you don’t mean it. You're just pissed Jon did something before you did. You hate being in second place."
He frowned at her "I'm going to just chalk that statement up to you being drunk Melanie!" He huffed. She thought he would joke about that? He'd just bring it up again when she was sober.
"Am not drunk, yet."
"Baby your 6 sheets to the wind!" He had to laugh; he'd just proposed, well kind of and she'd pretty much ignored it. Competition with Jon? He'd never use Mel as competition ever. "Look, were gonna settle all this tomorrow darlin' I promise ok? Trust me?" his eyes begged her.
She lay her head on his shoulder, too drunk to even watch her words. "Always have silly, even when I teased ya, even when I made your life hell, i trusted ya."
He stroked her hair gently and whispered "That's good to know..... ya had me worried"
She rubbed her cheek along his chest mumbling as she started to doze off, "My job to worry ya."
**
He pulled his silent bride into their hotel room and groaned. "Finally a bit of fuckin' peace. Com'ere you."
Shannon sighed and relaxed into him "God I didn't think it would be such a....... issue" she wrapped her arms around his waist and closed her eyes trying to mental transport them back to their little haven in Vegas.
He held her tight and bit back a sigh, "Hell I was only thinking about us babe. That's all that matters, don’t let it get to ya. Mel's just a sour woman is all, she resentswhat you got cuz she aint got it."
"No.... no she's.... not" She said, trying to convince herself "Why would she?" she sighed and pulled away walking to the bed she sank down on it "ya know your manager looked ready to spit nails"
Jon rolled his eyes. "Doc always looks like that. He's just gonna have to get over it."
“Its.. it’s not gonna mess anything up is it... the fans... they wont?" She frowned, she hadn't thought about how ANYONE would take it not her sister, not the band the fans, "Well if we just explain tomorrow maybe they will understand"
"Baby if they're a fan just because I'm single and we lose them just because I'm married we don't need them. The guys will understand. Don't you worry your head about it."
"Your family......." she gasped for the first time she realized she'd never even met his family.
"Will love you cuz I love you. Mom might cry, but hell baby, it’s not about them. Hell Mom will help make it look good so the fan club loves ya too. Don't worry ok?"
"I'm sorry I don't mean to worry it just all hit me. " she got up and crossed to him again and went into his arms "maybe.. maybe instead of just a reception we could.. ya know... do something small and private just for them and family?"
"we'll see baby." He brushed a gentle kiss over her forehead and smiled. "Now lets quit talking about that stressful stuff and pick up on our honeymoon."
She gave a throaty laugh "Now that’s a good idea."

1 comment:
Awe tough to see the sisters in conflict. Poor Mel. She is so hurt she was left out. Hopefully Shay will find a way to make it up to her. And I hope Mel has a screamin hang over, lol. She deserves that. After all, no one likes a mean drunk.
Thanks for the great chapter.
Post a Comment